Oncologist Salary Information- How much money does an oncologist make? Who is an Oncologist? – Oncology is the study of cancer and Oncologists are doctors specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of different types of cancer. Oncologists take in the responsibility of a patient from the time they are diagnosed with cancer throughout the entire treatment including the time during remission.
How to become an Oncologist?
The basic qualification to become an oncologist is a doctorate level degree. The step by step educational requirements to become an Oncologist is as follows:
- Bachelors Degree: The first requirement to become an oncologist is to earn a Bachelors degree with the subjects like Math and Science. Alongside the Bachelor’s term, some students choose to participate in volunteer activities and research projects to gain an early clinical experience.
- Applying to a Medical School Program: Most likely in the senior year of the Graduation degree program, students are required to take the MCAT (Medical College Entrance Test) which is a prerequisite for gaining an admission in the Medical School.
- Graduation from a Medical School: Students are required to complete the Medical degree in the 4 year period from an accredited medical school. Along with the medical education, students receive an all round training in a medical school with an exposure to medical settings through regular clinical rotations.
- Residency Program: The Oncologists are required to complete a residency program which is generally for 3 to 4 years.
- Fellowship in Sub specialty: Oncologists are required to at least 2 years of additional training along with a fellowship program.
- Obtain a License: It is mandatory for all Oncologists, just like other doctors to obtain a license in order to start practicing. The requirement for licensing across different states is diverse.
- Become a Board Certified: Physicians are required to become certified by a Board by passing an examination.
Oncologist Salary – How much does an oncologist make?
The average annual Oncologist salary is $292,917 as per the data released on June 29, 2018. The salary usually ranges from $235,722 to $373,239. However, this can vary owing to the multiple factors like location of practice, experience in practice. The salary increases with an increase in experience.
Oncologist Salary Information (Location wise)
The highest Oncologist Salaries have been shown in Massachusetts, New York and California. These states are known for their high cost of living and hence the pay is usually higher in these states. Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Missouri have the least oncologist salaries. These states have a comparatively lower cost of living hence the salaries are also affected. Experience is another factor that influences the oncologist salaries to a great extent.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do Oncologists make good money?
Yes, oncologists certainly make good money and the main high earning sources of making money through oncology involve radiation, chemotherapy, hospital stays, lab work and pathologist services.
What is the average salary for an Oncologist?
The average Oncologist Salary is around $292,917 per year.
How much does an Oncologist make a month?
Oncologists make around $24,409 annually.
Do oncologists have to do a surgery?
Surgery is only carried out by Surgical Oncologists where are medical oncologists only treat cancer by administering in chemotherapy.